Osh Plov Journey
Learn how to make Osh-style plov, from market to table.
Your plov journey begins with a market visit to learn about and collect the ingredients needed for Osh-style plov. After our visit to the market, we'll head to a home in a mahalla (traditional neighborhood) and learn how to cook plov together with a local family. As you help prepare the ingredients and the dish you'll learn about Kyrgyz life, from the traditions to the everyday. Once the plov has finished cooking, you'll take a seat on a tapchan, a traditional Central Asian raised table, and enjoy your meal with your friends. You'll return home not only well-fed and knowledgeable about local culinary traditions, but also with a greater connection to local life and culture
- Visit the local market to learn about and purchase the ingredients needed for Osh-style plov (a regional one-pot open fire rice pilaf dish).
- Learn how to cook plov in a local family home and discover the secret to what makes Osh-style plov so unique … and delicious.
- As your plov is simmering away in the kazan, walk and explore the traditional neighborhood and learn more about day-to-day local life.
- As you enjoy your home-cooked plov, understand the cultural importance of plov in Osh and the blend of tradition and modernity in local life today.
* This cooking class can be conducted with vegetarian plov upon request. Inform us in advance (upon booking request) if you or anyone in your group has any food allergies or special dietary requirements.
Osh Plov Journey
4 Hours | from 1,000 KGS per person
Plov Journey Photo Gallery
What Others Say About This Tour
- Ingredients for plov and appetizers (salads, bread, fruit)
- Non-alcoholic drinks (e.g., tea, juice/kompot, water)
- English-speaking guide
Not Included in Price:
- Additional drinks and snacks are available for purchase at the market or nearby shops.
In Kyrgyzstan, the plov served in Osh is the country's best-known and considered the tastiest. This traditional rice, meat, and vegetable dish simmers for hours in a kazan, a heavy, cast iron pan. Plov is more than a dish or a meal, though. It's a sign of celebration and hospitality — it's an experience to be shared with family and friends.
Tour Location and Meeting Point
The fresh market and family home where the cooking class happens is in a traditional neighborhood in Osh. However, the meeting point for the tour is at the Destination Osh Office (15 Gapar Aytiev Street), and transportation is included.